Water heaters are always there for you. They are there when you need a warm bath, clean clothes, or clean pans. Show your water heater some love and follow a maintenance schedule that will keep it running for its 15-year expected lifetime, and beyond.
These are our tips for water heater love:
- Set the thermostat to 120 degrees & save $$$. You save up to 5% in energy costs for every 10 degrees you lower the temperature, plus you’ll reduce the risk of scalding.
- Maintain 2 ft clearance around the unit. (unless the manual states otherwise)
- Drain 1/4 of the tank twice a year to remove sediment (also helps the unit operate quieter).
- Turn off the cold water supply
- Attach garden hose to drain valve
- Empty water into a bucket until the water runs clear.
- Once a year, test temperature-pressure relief valve. Following the test, keep an eye out for small leaks from the valve.
- Older units may benefit by insulating with a fiberglass jacket to improve efficiency. Make sure to avoid contact with the flue (newer units already are insulated — check your owner’s manual to make sure). Also, insulate the hot and cold water pipes.
- As part of your vacation check list, adjust the thermostat on gas heaters to “vacation” setting.
Mike’s Heating and Cooling has been providing outstanding HVAC services to customers in Macomb & Oakland Counties for over 37 years and look forward to being able to help you next!
Call Mike’s Heating & Cooling today (586) 739-2115!